Rising to the Challenge – 2019 Workshops – Shrewsbury
29th March at 9:30 am - 17th May at 12:30 pm£10
Rising to the Challenge 2019
Workshops in Shrewsbury for family carers living in Shropshire
“Best parent training and support programme” Social Care Award 2017
A series of six workshops during March, April and May for family carers who really want to understand their child’s autism.
This course is funded by Shropshire Council and Shropshire’s Clinical Commissioning Group so places are only available for family carers living in the Shropshire Council area.
About the Course
Families attending this course will gain greater confidence in living with autism and feel better equipped to manage the difficulties they are experiencing. All participants will have the opportunity to share their experiences and take away ideas, strategies and resources as well as information about Autism West Midlands’ Information and Support services and other local sources of help.
All sessions take place on Fridays (9.30am – 12.30pm) at:
The Lantern, Meadow Farm Drive,
Booking Information: To book this event please visit the eShop:
Parents and carers must be resident in the Shropshire Council area.
Please provide your mobile number when booking so that we can send you a text reminder.
Cost: £10 individual or £15 per couple.
If the cost is a barrier to you attending, please contact us:
The course consists of 6 sessions as detailed below.
Friday 29th March (9.30am – 12.30pm)
Autism as a Spectrum
• Exploring the world of autism
• The individuality of children on the spectrum
• How autism is diagnosed
Friday 5th April (9.30am – 12.30pm)
The Sensory World of Autism
• Sensory Processing
• How children with autism experience their senses
• Improving sensory experiences for you child
Friday 12th April (9.30am – 12.30pm)
• The developing communicator
• How your child with autism communicates
• Communication ideas for your child
Friday 3rd May (9.30am – 12.30pm)
Helping your Child Develop Social Skills
• How children develop social skills
• Social skill difficulties in autism
• Promoting social skills with your child
Friday 10th May (9.30am – 12.30pm)
Understanding and minimising difficult behaviours
• Anxious behaviours and autism
• Coping strategies for dealing with autism
related anxiety and anger outbursts
• Strategies to help your child regulate their emotions
Friday 17th May (9.30am – 12.30pm)
Happiness and Wellbeing
• Practical strategies to promote self
esteem and wellbeing for your child
• Reflection time
For more information please contact the Shropshire team at firstname.lastname@example.org